A message from Greg Thompson, President & CEO, Amerigroup Texas:
Amerigroup’s work in Texas in 2022 left much to be proud of — it was really a great year. The success stories, many of which are featured in our Working in Texas blog, are nothing short of inspiring.
But to really see the big difference Amerigroup made last year reinventing healthcare and fortifying Texas communities, look at the numbers:
- We are building pipelines to access to care by investing a quarter-million dollars in endowments and scholarships through seven different medical campus — with most of the money targeted at improving rural health.
- We are improving maternal and child health by launching nine programs and pilot projects in communities across the state, including four separate doula pilot projects and three supportive pregnancy programs in urban and rural areas. The work with doulas culminated with a summit we hosted at the University of Texas at Arlington in December.
- In collaboration with the Texas Organization of Rural & Community Hospitals, we awarded 22 capacity-building grants totaling $500,000 to rural health providers in every part of Texas. The money supports innovative initiatives that help Texans get healthy and stay healthy by focusing on social determinants of health.
- Health-supportive housing continues to be a critical focus for Amerigroup Texas. In 2022, we broke ground on Balcones Trails, a 276-unit community that Amerigroup is developing with community partners in the town of Kyle, outside Austin. We’re also working with the East Harris County Empowerment Council to provide flexible financial assistance for as many as 120 people on the east side of the Houston area.
- Our Food Is Medicine program created a dozen collaborations with food pantries and service organizations across Texas.
- We launched creative collaborations with Pyx Health, Motivo, and EVERFI to help reinvent mental and behavioral healthcare in Texas, in part by using technology and innovation to meet our members where they are. The Motivo project alone resulted in more than 8,200 counseling hours for people living in rural areas, far from providers. And our partnership with EVERFI will promote and educate students in more than 850 middle and high schools on the importance of Whole Person Health.
- We hosted more than 200 events to provide flu and COVID vaccinations — nearly 19,000 vaccinations were administered.
- Our fantastic associates gave 3,325 hours of their time to non-profit and community organizations across the state.
The list goes on and on and on — dive into Working in Texas to learn more. And 2023 promises to be even busier, especially with a legislative session that will shape state health policy for years.
Whether it’s working in communities across Texas — or with leaders to ensure systems are functioning as well as possible for as many people as possible — Amerigroup will be there, doing all we can to help people get healthy and stay healthy.
It was a great 2022. It’s going to be an even better 2023.